Virtual private servers hosting
The Internet is everywhere nowadays and if you want to get noticed, get online. Virtual Private Server hosting is a great way to launch your online project and keep it running safe and smooth. Let’s take a closer look.
What is a virtual private server and why should you go for it?
Just a few words to begin with. Virtual private server (or VPS for short) is a virtual machine, i.e. program that acts like a real server. There are few popular software products (-hyper or -super visors) used to make VPSs. Each has its pros and cons and we won’t get into technical details. Let’s only say that some work better with Windows, other with Linux operation systems family.
Why choosing VPS is a good idea at all? As you know, there are three primary hosting options:
- shared hosting;
- virtual private server;
- dedicated server.
So, why not shared or dedicated? It depends on what you’re up to. Shared hosting is the cheapest, while a dedicated server is the most customizable and has, consequently, the highest fee. VPS is somewhere in between, the golden middle.
Here some reasons why it should be VPS:
- resources that you can count on – it’s not like with shared, where your website can go offline just because your neighbor having a boost and tries to seize all the resources he can get;
- no limitations except hardware you’ve paid for – that’s right. Install a software you need, add a desired number of domains, and configure cron or scripts just as you wish them to operate. The only thing that can become an impedance over time is a hardware under the hood. But it’s easy to fix with an upgrade;
- pricing doesn’t bite – quite often you don’t know how it will turn out with an online project. Spending a deal of money for a dedicated server could be not so reasonable. That’s where VPS step in. So to say, an ersatz dedicated server with lower fees and good performance.
How to find the best virtual private server solution?
Virtual private server hosting is easy to find. There are many offers from different companies all over the Internet. As the lowest price is not a guarantee of success, quite often the opposite, choosing the best hosting solution often means searching for a reliable hoster in the first place. Here below are some clues that, as we think, might come in handy:
- uptime – it’s a combination of different factors. Like robust hardware, responsive data centers’ staff and professional, proactive technical support from your hosting provider. As a result, you have your online project working without any interruptions (well almost without) all year round
- points of presence – or locations. It’s recommended to place your website as near as possible to the place, where most of your users live. If your hoster can provide you with CDN (content delivery network), it would be even better;
- extra features – all hosting providers are trying to attract customers to gain profit, for sure, but there can be also something for you too. Offers with the same prices and technical parameters can be supplemented by different toppings, like free IP-address or SSL-certificate, etc. Don’t miss your bonus, take a time to compare different offers;
- customer support services – we have mentioned the technical support already, but there is more to that. There has to be a team that makes your user experience great. You don’t know when you’re going to need them, but when the time comes you have to be sure that you’ll get a prompt and sufficient response to any issue with your service.
That’s all folks! The last piece of advice — don’t fall immediately for a cheap virtual private server. It won’t get you far. Pay attention to details and don’t hesitate to ask questions!